b-hebrew - Re: early citration of Yahweh without consort

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: early citration of Yahweh without consort
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:13:33 -0700

> re Ian's question - Mehsah Stela, late ninth century, mentions Yahweh's
> name without consort. Now, he was only a Moabite, poor king, and simply
> could have been ignorant.

Actually there appears to be one at KA as well. Anchor Bible
Dictionary IV:107 lists the "most complete" bowl-rim inscription as
reading L(BDYW BN (DNH BRK H) LYHW without any mention of a
consort or Asherah. Just glancing at the various spellings etc.
among the inscriptional finds listed in ABD, there seems to be quite
a range of dialects represented at this site, including some in
Hebrew but in Phonician script. So a fairly wide range of references
to different deities etc. is probably to be expected.
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do
with it.
-Emerson