b-hebrew - Re: Pronunciation of WAW

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pronunciation of WAW
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:49:00 -0700

[snip]
George,
> BTW -- I always encourage my students to pronounce waw as "w" because it is
> more authentic and
> easier for learning vocab and avoiding confusion with veth (ie, beth
> without dagesh). I also
> encourage them to pronounce `ayin, and to try to distinguish between kaph &
> qoph, samekh & sin, tet
> & taw.

Do you have them distinguish all the begadkefat letters as well?
e.g. non-dagesh Tau as "th," non-dagesh daleth as voiced "th" and
so forth? In college I had one prof who did and one who didn't; the
one who didn't only distinguished beth, kaf and pe and kept the
others "hard" all the time. I've picked up that approach myself, but I
sometimes wonder if I should have.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do
with it.
-Emerson