b-hebrew - Re: MMZR in 1Enoch 10:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MMZR in 1Enoch 10:9
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:28:22 -0800

Well, after a lively off list exchange it looks like **Sabbath Lily Hawks
got this one right after all. I am not sure that Sabbath was actually
quoting Deut 23:3, it is more likely she was conflating this text with a
text from the NT. Can't locate the reference but it ran something like: "No
bastard will ever enter the kingdom . . ."

With much assistance from a scholar across the Atlantic I was able to find
numerous uses of MMZR in Jewish extra canonical texts dating as early as the
DSS secular texts right on down to the third millennium AD. From this
evidence it looks like TOUS MAZHREOUS in *1Enoch 10:9 is roughly equivalent
to TOUS UIOUS THS PORNEIAS which makes sense.

*1Enoch 10:9 in Codex Panopolitanus

10:9 Kai tw Gabrihl eipen o kurios Poreuon
epi tous mazhreous,
epi tous kibdhlous
kai tous uious ths porneias,
kai apoleson tous uious twn egrhgorwn apo twn anqrwpwn pemyon autois en
polemw apwleias.

Thanks for all the help.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

**Sabbath Lily Hawks makes reference to this term in her allusion (?) to
Deut. 23:3 where she renders MMZR according to the AV (Wiseblood, Flannery
O'Conner page # ??).

on 12/27/01 11:17 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> *1Enoch 10:9 in Codex Panopolitanus includes the Greek hapax. MAZHREOUS
> which LSJ (p1072) links to the Hebrew MMZR found in Deut. 23:3 and Zech.
> 9:6. Syncellus' quote of 1Enoch has the word GIGANTAS in place of MAZHREOUS.
> 4Q202 breaks off just before this word so we have no real evidence from a
> Semitic source earlier than the Greek translation (do we?), assuming that
> the Ethiopic is a translation of the Greek (is it?).
>
> The meaning of MMZR in Enoch is kind of up for grabs. It is in a parallel
> construction with KIBDHLOUS (see quoted text below).
>

> Here is LEH entry for KIBDHLOUS
>
> *************
> Lv 19:19; Dt 22:11; Wis 2:16; 15:9
> base, false (of bronze) Wis 15:9; not pure, mingled (of garments made
> of two materials) Lv 19:19; hybrid, of mixed race (of human beings) Wis
> 2:16
> Cf. DOGNIEZ 1992, 254; GILBERT 1973, 198(n.6)(Wis 15:9); LARCHER 1985,
> 248-249(Wis 2:16)
>
> It is tempting based on the parallel construction to assign a meaning to
> MAZHREOUS in this context something like "hybrid, of mixed race (of human
> beings)." The 1Enoch context appears to give this word strong racial
> overtones. The Watchers being a different race from ANQRWPOI.
>
> What do you folks who have studied 2nd Temple Judaism think about this?

  • MMZR in 1Enoch 10:9, c stirling bartholomew, 12/28/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: MMZR in 1Enoch 10:9, c stirling bartholomew, 12/28/2001