b-hebrew - letter names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mathias van den Bossche <m.vdb AT free.fr>
  • To: Christian Hoffmann <christian.hoffmann AT wsl.ch>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: letter names
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:14:22 +0100 (MET)

En réponse à Christian Hoffmann <christian.hoffmann AT wsl.ch>:

> Dear haverim,
>
> Not so long we discussed the choice of qatal as the paradigmatic stem for
> Hebrew verb grammar. We went through all the possible combinations,
> sorting out unwanted consonants, like
> aleph, he, waw, khet,

Just a side question :

Although the Israelis of European origin do not distinguish
khaf from het, Hebrew speakers of biblical times certainly did.

Is it a widespread use in the academic community to call "khet"
the letter whose name was pronounced something like [He:t] with
"pharyngal h", or is there an alternative widespread name like
"hhet" or "h.et" or anything else ? It is a precision which can
have a strong teaching impact, isn't it ?

Thanks in advance

Mathias

  • letter names, Mathias van den Bossche, 12/17/2001