b-hebrew - Shabbat/Shupattu article revised

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Shabbat/Shupattu article revised
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 09:32:29 -0500

"He establishes the
Sabbath to provide man a day of rest, as well as to honor himself in special worship."

Actually, the prohibition of work on Shabbat (Melechet Avoda) has to do with the actions needed for worship (Avoda) in the Temple, and this is for us to acknowledge that it is a law of existence (like gravity, for instance is a law in the physical world) that on this day G-d's blessings and sustenance are coming forth - WITHOUT THE NEED FOR US TO SUPPLICATE FOR THEM.

And, all of this is independent of whether or not we honor the day - unlike our festivals, which are holy only if we honor and keep them.

Shoshanna