b-hebrew - RE: Masoretic Marking in Deut 1:36

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Mark Wessner" <mark AT wessner.ca>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Masoretic Marking in Deut 1:36
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:09:17 -0000

This is interesting as it does actually appear to be an additional
cantillation mark, at least graphically, in the BHS text. It doesn't appear
for example in Helmut Richter's comprehensive website on "Hebrew
Cantillation Marks And Their Encoding",
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~hr/teamim/; nor does it appear in Unicode. The
mark in this verse is encoded as an ordinary zaqeph magnum in the SIL Hebrew
text and in at least the Oxford edition of the CCAT BHS text from which this
is derived.

Alternatively, could this be a scribal error in the Leningrad MS or a typo
in BHS? I note that there is an ordinary zaqeph magnum in my N.H. Snaith
Bible Societies Hebrew Bible.

I am copying this (as blind copies) to Helmut Richter and to a couple of SIL
colleagues, as they may be interested and able to comment.

Peter Kirk