b-hebrew - Masoretic Marking in Deut 1:36

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mark Wessner <mark AT wessner.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Masoretic Marking in Deut 1:36
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:24:19 -0800

Hi Everyone,

I am doing some research on Deut 1:36 and have noticed an accent that I have not seen before. Halfway through the verse above ya'an there is what looks like a zaqeph magnum, except that it is backwards. Is this simply another way of indicating the disjunctive magnum, or is it something different?

Thanks!

Mark

PS. I also note that the Samaritan Pentateuch has kiy rather than ya'an.