b-hebrew - RE: Genesis 1:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Genesis 1:6
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:54:28 -0500

That may have something to do with it (allowing the corrections to the
picture
that she gave in her response), but the reason I brought up the lack of a G
(Qal) stem for this root is that it seems to me that a speaker who has
internalized the language will probably be a lot better at recognizing
connections between verb forms that actually exist. Even though she has
learned the root/stem system, there is no reason to learn a verb form that
does not exist; hence, the relationship is not nearly as obvious. It may seem
like a no-brainer that the root of mavdil is BDL, since none of the
consonants
is likely to go anywhere; but If I recall correctly, even the comparative
evidence is usually attested in the C stem only.

I should add that the original inquiry seemed to imply that BDL means
something by itself. (Something like, "What's the difference between BDL and
MBDL?") Since there is no attested G-stem verb badal or D-stem biddel, there
is no verb that can be called simply BDL. (Both the N stem and the C stem add
prefixes in their various forms.)

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics