b-hebrew - RE: [b-greek] Hebrews 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "'Dan Buck'" <dbuck AT briercrest.ca>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [b-greek] Hebrews 3:11
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:23:18 -0600

<Dan>
>>>...Noting that the author of Hebrews end the quotation of Ps 95 at this
>>>very point may suggest that he
understands the implied answer as very important in regards to the Hebrews
need to respond or face the similar consequences of such an oath.

<Bill>
My understanding is that an oath would, at this point, contain self damning
elements that would be invoked if they oath were not fulfilled. Ie: "...let
my mother-in-law's underwear burst into flames..., may my children suddenly
contract uncurable rashes..."

The absence, then, implies "you know what I mean."

Bill Ross