b-hebrew - Lev. 16.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Lev. 16.
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:01:03 -0500

Is there a difference between the sins Azazel's goat
carries off and that atoned for by the goat to YHWH?
I notice that the word pe$a' is used only for the goat for
Azazel. That connotes willful transgression. Is it the case
that sins committed through willful transgression cannot be
atoned for, and must be carried off? Milgrom seems to imply
that the sins are the same, first they're atoned for and then
carried off. That seems odd. Am I understanding this right?

Thanks,

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Visiting Scholar
Department of Near Eastern Studies
University of Michigan
2068 Frieze Bldg.
105 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1285
lizfried AT umich.edu

  • Lev. 16., Lisbeth S. Fried, 11/12/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Lev. 16., Jonathan D. Safren, 11/13/2001