b-hebrew - Re: Cherubim and Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cherubim and Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:15:28 -0700

> Available is the following article- "Cherubim, The Pre-Biblical Origins of
> (And The Mercy Seat Atop the Ark of the Covenant)".
>
> If interested click on the url below-
>
> http://www.bibleorigins.net/CherubimOrigins.html

Walter, I consistently find it amazing that you expect people to
take your material seriously. The fact that some Sphinx-like
objects have been unearthed in Canaan may or may not have any
connection with what cherubim looked like. That connection is
nothing but a flying leap with absolutely no evidence. The Exodus
description of the cherubim's positions is very clear that their wings
reach toward each other and touch over the "mercy seat." As for
Ezekiel's vision, it should be obvious to anybody who reads it that
he is describing things symbolically, attempting as best he can to
describe things that are frankly indescribable. To try and tear him
down because "he should have known better" is just, pardon me,
silly. Josephus' statement is irrelevant; representations of
cherubim on the ark and the curtain before it were destroyed by the
Babylonians, so it stands to reason that in his time no one would
know what these objects looked like.

I hope the others will forgive me for being so blatant, but this is not
scholarship. It is a little piece of this, a little piece of that,
shoehorned into a set of baseless presuppositions and
speculations. It also frankly has nothing to do with biblical Hebrew.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do with
it.
-Emerson