b-hebrew - Re: Question on Psalm 18:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Question on Psalm 18:21
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:39:12 -0600

You wrote: Would you argue that it is in the
nature of the poetical language to communicate in a stronger sense than the
meaning that is trying to be conveyed?

You wrote: Does this mean that I need to
fight my way through both irregular grammar and obscure meanings when
reading the Psalms?

It has been my experience that the attributes of Hebrew poetry include both
of these challenges. With regard to the first, the Psalms are the record
of the emotional responses of the writer to his God. Exaggeration is an
element of such expression. And as to the second, though there are those
who disagree, the grammar of Hebrew poetry seems to be irregular -- or at
least is more obscure than that of prose. And a poet also seems to reach
into his hat and pull out rare vocabulary (note the lameds in the margins
of BHS that indicate the hapaxes) as well as rare nuances of familiar
words. (I think you'd agree that English poetry has similar attributes.)

I believe a beginner would be less frustrated if he or she would work with
narrative. I would recommend Ruth, Jonah, Genesis 3-4, 37-50, 1 Kings 1-2,
1 Kings 17-2 Kings 2.

Dave Stabnow
david.stabnow AT lifeway.com