b-hebrew - RE: Zin, wilderness of

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Zin, wilderness of
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:44:57 -0000

I guess there may also have been confusion between the wilderness of Zin
(tsade-hireq-nun), mentioned mostly in Numbers, and the wilderness of Sin
(samekh-hireq-yod-nun) of Exodus 16:1, 17:1, also both are listed in Numbers
33. The names are likely to be confused, especially in transliterations into
many languages which don't distinguish tsade and samekh. Also in both places
there seems to have been a place called Meribah where the Israelites
quarrelled and Moses brought water from a rock (Exo 17:6,7; Num 20:11,13).
But the geographical areas seem to have been quite separate.

Peter Kirk

  • Zin, wilderness of, Walter Mattfeld, 11/04/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: Zin, wilderness of, Peter Kirk, 11/05/2001