b-hebrew - Re: b-hebrew digest: October 31, 2001

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Fred Putnam" <fputnam AT biblical.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: b-hebrew digest: October 31, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:46:30 -0500

Date sent: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 00:00:08 -0400
Subject: b-hebrew digest: October 31, 2001
To: "b-hebrew digest recipients"
<b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
From: "Biblical Hebrew digest"
<b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Send reply to: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>

> [...]
> only used of God, where in the unpointed text it is
> used of both man and God.
>
> Is there some textual/grammatical basis for assuming
> the adonai in the verses Ezra 10:3, Isaiah 21:8 and
> Psalm 110:1 refers only to the LORD.
> As far as I can tell from the unpointed text this word
> could refer to man or God.
>
> Any thoughts? I'd very much appreciate them.
>
> Thanks.
> Ian.

> Nokia Game is on again.
> Go to http://uk.yahoo.com/nokiagame/ and join the new
> all media adventure before November 3rd.

> Subject: Re: [yahwist] Breaking Ben Laden's Allah/Curses
> From: "weismann" <weismann AT fibertel.com.ar>
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:43:00 -0300
>
> About the issue, I agree also with Mr. Rice: it's out of place to speak or
> to write about other important subjects that are not the main object of the
> Hebrew List. Regards, Francis J. Weismann weismann AT fibertel.com.ar
> -----
> Original Message ----- From: "Bill Rice" <william_l_rice AT hotmail.com> To:
> "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu> Sent: Sunday, October 28,
> 2001
> 11:00 AM Subject: Re: [yahwist] Breaking Ben Laden's Allah/Curses
>

> > "Our common ground for discussion is the scholarship of the Hebrew Bible,
> > not
> > the espousal or denial of its or any other beliefs."
> >
> > I agree. The discussion should stick to Hebrew related topics.
> >

> > Bill Rice
> > WILLIAM_L_RICE AT HOTMAIL.COM principal address
> > WILLIAM.L.RICE AT KP.ORG office email
> > WILLIAM_L_RICE AT CP.FULLER.EDU seminary address
> > * * *
> > May each of you be filled with lovingkindness,
> > May you be safe,
> > May you be well,
> > May you be peaceful and at ease,
> > May you be happy:

> Subject: Re: Hebrew of ketef hinnom amulets
> From: ianyoung AT plato.arts.usyd.edu.au
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:23:06 +0000
>
> >Also, does any of you know of something written on the Hebrew of the two
> >amulets apart from Gabriel Barkay in Qatedrah 52 (1989)/ Tel Aviv 19
> >(1992) and
> >A Yardeni in Vetus Testamentum 41 (1991)?? (hey - that qualified the post
> >as
> >not too off-topic!)
>

> There are recent discussions in:
>
> Shmuel Ahituv, Handbook of Ancient Hebrew Inscriptions, 1992 (in Hebrew)
>
> and
>
> Johannes Renz and Wolfgang Rollig, Handbuch der Althebraischen Epigraphik,
> 1995 (in German)
>
> The latter is especially interesting as it argues for (if I remember right)
> second century BCE date rather than the c.600BCE date proposed e.g. by
> Yardeni.
>
> Does anyone have any comments on the two vastly different dates (both
> arrived at
> by experienced experts in the Hebrew script)?

Clay,

I found no hits in ATLA or OTA on "Heimerdinger". It sounds like a review
waiting to be written.

Best wishes,
Fred

> Subject: Topic, focus and foreground in ancient Hebrew narratives
> From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:10:21 -0800
>
> Hebrew Aficionados,
>
> I just did a search of the archives for "Heimerdinger" and got no hits. Is
> it possible that there has been absolutely no discussion on b-hebrew of:
>
> Heimerdinger, Jean-Marc. Topic, focus and foreground in ancient Hebrew
> narratives, Sheffield Academic Press, c1999.
>
> I just grabbed this from the SPU library shelf a couple of days ago. Since
> the NT Greek publications on Discourse Analysis are still lagging somewhat
> behind the OT Hebrew studies I make it a habit to read as much of the Hebrew
> stuff as I can lay hands on.
>
> Anybody seen any reviews on this book? I just searched SBL Reviews and
> didn't find any there.
>
> Thanks for any comments you might have on this title,
>
> Clay
>
> --
> Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
> Three Tree Point
> P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062
>

> ---
>
> END OF DIGEST
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [fputnam AT biblical.edu]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
> $subst('Email.Unsub') To subscribe, send an email to
> join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Frederic Clarke Putnam, Ph.D.
"Dominus illuminatio mea."

Professor of Old Testament
Biblical Theological Seminary
fputnam AT biblical.edu
215-368-5000x150 (office & voice-mail)

  • Re: b-hebrew digest: October 31, 2001, Fred Putnam, 11/01/2001