b-hebrew - Reconsidering Jericho

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Banyai)
  • To: ane AT oi.uchicago.edu, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu, biblical-studies AT egroups.com
  • Subject: Reconsidering Jericho
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:21:57 +0200

I am glad to announce a new paper entitled "Reconsidering Jericho" accesible
in
the web, as usually under the adress:

http://www.abara2.de/chronologie/

It deals largely with known and unknown facts concerning the archaeology of
Jericho, and how they may be relevant to our understanding of the book of
Joshua.

Level LXXXIII (in trench III of Kathleen Kenyon) is identified as a level
And
as well corresponding the biblical description of Jericho. I invite however
caution before accepting the tradition imbued view concerning the sudden fall
of
"the" walls of Jericho.

Even the mute witness of a kerem victim, the only skeleton attesting a
violent
death ever found in Jericho, might point to this Middle Bronze age level as a
serious identification candidate with Joshuas Jericho.

All the best,

Bányai Michael

  • Reconsidering Jericho, Banyai, 09/28/2001