b-hebrew - When absolutes aren't absolutes and constructs aren't constructs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jeremy" <jnorthct AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: When absolutes aren't absolutes and constructs aren't constructs
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 06:41:05 -0400

Can someone explain to me why so many absolute forms of words are employed
in a construct position and many construct forms are employed in an
absolute position? Take, for example, the word "a hundred." In some
places the absolute form, M)H, is employed in a construct position (e.g.,
Jud 7:19), and the construct form, M)T, is employed in an absolute
position (e.g., Ecc 8:12), and even one case where it is employed in an
absolute plural position (Gen 23:15). We even have the absurdity at Num
2:24 where M)T is employed for an absolute expression, and M)H for a
construct expression!

Jeremy

  • When absolutes aren't absolutes and constructs aren't constructs, Jeremy, 09/28/2001