b-hebrew - RE: Genesis 22 thru 24: Rebekah's age

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Genesis 22 thru 24: Rebekah's age
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 20:35:29 +0100

There is a clear fallacy here, that Rebekah's birth was reported immediately
to Abraham. In fact it is clear that the events reported to Abraham in Gen
22:20-24 took place over a considerable number of years, at least long
enough for one woman to bear eight children and for one of them to be old
enough to have a daughter. It seems more probable that this was a report
brought to Abraham of many, perhaps 20+, years of family history from
relatives with whom he had lost touch. Also there could have been a
considerable lapse of time between this report reaching Abraham and Sarah's
subsequent death; the report could have come shortly after the near
sacrifice of Isaac, which seems to have taken place when he was still a boy,
so perhaps 20 years before his mother died.

Peter Kirk