b-hebrew - Learning without vowels. Was: Re: Semitic Vowels, addendum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Learning without vowels. Was: Re: Semitic Vowels, addendum
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:15:44 EDT

ButhFam AT compuserve.com writes:
For that, I recommend using vocalized texts, contrary to typical ulpan
practice in Israel.[snip] Learning to read unvocalized texts is no problem
at
all--if the person already knows the language.

I agree.  I have been plodding through Thackston's Introduction to Syriac.
It makes no sense to double the learner's work:  when I see the Syriac word,
I have to remember both what it means and how to pronounce it.  If I could
see the vowels as I read, I would begin to assimilate the patterns which are
essential and then move on to reading unvocalized texts.

  • Learning without vowels. Was: Re: Semitic Vowels, addendum, Bearpecs, 09/04/2001