b-hebrew - Masculine and Feminie Nouns

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Masculine and Feminie Nouns
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:15:11

Dear Friends,

Just a few questions. Why are Hebrew words like LaYLaH (night), 'OTH (sign) and BBaYiTH (house) considered masculine when the word for night has a final he preceded by a qames, the sign of the feminine ending, and the words "sign" and "house" both end in a final taw, also typical of a feminine noun or substantive? I can understand that 'aV the word for "father" is masculine even though in its plural form it is feminine 'aVOTH, but the 3 nouns I mentioned can be confusing to a novice in biblical Hebrew. Best regards,

Tony Costa