b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 52:6 "I Am" or "I am He"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 52:6 "I Am" or "I am He"
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:19:24 EDT

In a message dated 08/30/2001 7:12:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org writes:

<< I am He translates )NY H). As I remember Modern Hebrew often translates
this as I Am. This is also the phrase found in my Hebrew New Testament where
Jesus says before Abraham was, I am. Here is my question. Does the author of
Isaiah 52 use )NY H) synonymously with YHWH? >>

Dear Michael:

)NY is the subject, H) is the predicate, and "am" is understood. The
predicate, H), refers back to the contextually revealed subject, namely,
YHWH, the one "who foretold it."

Best regards,

Greg Stafford