b-hebrew - Isaiah 52:6 "I Am" or "I am He"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Isaiah 52:6 "I Am" or "I am He"
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:57:26 -0700

I have a question for those better acquainted with the development of the Hebrew language.  In Isaiah 52:6 God says,

"Therefore my people will know my name; therefore in that day they will know that it is I who foretold it. Yes, I am He."

I am He translates )NY H).  As I remember Modern Hebrew often translates this as I Am.  This is also the phrase found in my Hebrew New Testament where Jesus says before Abraham was, I am. Here is my question.  Does the author of Isaiah 52 use )NY H) synonymously with YHWH?

Thank you for your help

Michael Abernathy

mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org