b-hebrew - RE: Rohl's Chronology-Deconstruction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Rohl's Chronology-Deconstruction
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:02:34 +0100

Kitchen has the advantage over others I have seen in that he offers a proper
academic approach to the subject, at least from the little of his work that
I have been able to read. Kitchen, by the way, is also a "conservative" i.e.
evangelical Christian. Of course neither of these things make him
infallible. But his work, which is currently accepted as the best
Egyptological scholarship, can be challenged only by even better
scholarship, and I have never seen such a challenge.

Rohl's arguments look promising to me but are flawed from the scholarly
viewpoint simply because they have been written and published only in a
popular form. A book like "A Test of Time"/"Pharaohs and Kings" has to take
liberties with scholarly method in order to be accessible to its target
audience. The same seems to be true of those like Wood and Aardsma, at least
from what I have seen. But if Rohl and others like him want to be taken
seriously in the academic world, they need to publish their conclusions also
in a more scholarly way.

Peter Kirk