b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 40:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 40:26
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:25:13 -0700

I think the first-hand account in the post from Norman E. Swift of June 14 has
answered this question: there was no deliberate attempt by the NWT to link
Isaiah
40:26 to the theory of relativity. Essentially, "dynamic" energy is merely
"active"
or "productive" power. I can't speak for the ancient Hebrews, but according
to some
sources their worldview was pragmatic and essential . In my reading of
Isaiah 40:26
in context, "dynamic" [i.e., "active/productive"] energy makes sense. I
don't think
anyone is arguing that this is the only way to render the verse, or even the
best way
to render it. But as I recall, the original question that started the
discussion was
whether or not it was grammatically or contextually possible/acceptable.

Solomon Landers