b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 40:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, ebedyah AT elite.net
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 40:26
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:47:38 -0700

Not much objectivity here, I'm afraid. It is disingenuous to insist that a
phrase
like "dynamic energy" is only a term of physics or applies only to Einstein's
theorem. As stated in my earlier post, fundamentally speaking "dynamic
energy" fits
the context of Isaiah 40:26 as well as the more ordinary "might" or "power."
translation need not be limited by standard, ordinary phrasings, and -- shall
I say
dynamism -- can be a welcomed feature in a translation. In many new
translations it
is taken as an indication of vigor and skill that they have new or different
ways of
expressing the same facts. "Dynamic," of course, comes into English from the
Greek
term DUNAMIS, or POWER. Grammatically and contextually speaking, "dynamic
energy" at
Isaiah 40:26 is as good as the common terms.

I would not venture to assume why the NWT uses the term, any more than I
would know
specifically why any other translation uses the terms it uses, unless I
happened to be
myself on that body of translators.

Solomon Landers