b-hebrew - the law of mankind

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: the law of mankind
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:52:32 -0500

The last phrase of 2 Sam 7:19 reads, _WZ)T TWRT H)DM )DNY YHWH_ "And this
is the law of mankind, Lord YHWH."

Some English versions say that God's graciousness to David is His usual
manner of dealing with mankind, or that "this," what ever this is, is the
custom of man. This is stated either as an assertion or as a rhetorical
question. Other versions emend and try to make sense. Still others give
up on Samuel and translate according to 1 Chron 17:17. But LXX supports
the 1 Sam Vorlage exactly as we have it.

W. Kaiser says that this phrase says the Davidic promise is a "Charter for
Humanity" (in *The Law and the Prophets*, P & R, 1974). (He says that
Torah never means "usual manner.") He translates 1 Chron 17:17b something
like, "You are regarding me according to the upbringing outline of
mankind," that is, You see me as the charter for raising/lifting mankind.
Kaiser goes on to say that this shows that David was aware of the key role
for him and his dynasty in the progression of the Messianic promise -- he
did not speak more than he knew.

My main question is whether Kaiser's position is tenable, and whether it
has been established or demolished since 1974.

Dave Stabnow