b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: stoney AT touchwood.net
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:24:22 EDT

In a message dated 05/22/2001 1:48:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stoney AT touchwood.net writes:

<< Greg has, moreover, already been considerably exercised on the subject at
issue in the course of the debate over nominals. And I quite appreciate
his irritation at the intrusion of a confessed amateur into the substance
of his profession. Perhaps "I know more Hebrew than you" is an ad hominem
argument; but it's a fact, and I concede a relevant one. >>

Dear Stoney:

I do not view your comments as an intrusion, and I never said anything even
remotely approaching, "I know more Hebrew than you," etc. I strongly object
to any such characterization of my arguments, as I did with respect to
Peter's post. What I did object to in your case was your quotation of my
comment which related to the Hebrew grammatical issues, as a means of
introducing a discussion that clearly revolved around English literary
arguments.

If you want to pursue this, and other wish to do so, and if the Mods don't
mind, I have no problem with it. But to use a quotation from one of my posts
on the question of the Hebrew meaning of the text, as a means of introducing
your point about the English translations, etc., is not appropriate. At least
not in my view. Therefore, by all means, pursue this topic with those who
have commented on the particular English aspects of your argument, and
hopefully a productive discussion will follow.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford