b-hebrew - Re: YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Krasner" <ekrasner AT worldvision.org>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: YHWH
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 13:18:28 -0700

As far as the vowels go, it is my understanding that either the vowels from
"adonai" or "elohim" are used to point YHVH.

"Matthew R.

Miller" To: Biblical Hebrew
<b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
<biblicalscribe@ho cc:

tmail.com> Subject: YHWH

04/30/2001 03:25

PM

Please respond to

"Matthew R.

Miller"

This is a two part question. First, since the divine name, YHWH, is
characterized by the Hebrew consonants yod, he, vav, and he, what is the
evidence that the vav acts as an English "w" rather than its function as
English "v" or English "u"? Secondly, what is the linguistic reasoning
that assignes the vowels "a" (patach I believe) and "e" (sere I believe)
under the divine name, as opposed to other vowels? Thanks!

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [ekrasner AT worldvision.org]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')

  • YHWH, Matthew R. Miller, 04/30/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>