b-hebrew - YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew R. Miller" <biblicalscribe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: YHWH
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:25:52 -0400

This is a two part question. First, since the divine name, YHWH, is
characterized by the Hebrew consonants yod, he, vav, and he, what is the
evidence that the vav acts as an English "w" rather than its function as
English "v" or English "u"? Secondly, what is the linguistic reasoning
that assignes the vowels "a" (patach I believe) and "e" (sere I believe)
under the divine name, as opposed to other vowels? Thanks!

  • YHWH, Matthew R. Miller, 04/30/2001