b-hebrew - Re: Gal 3:16 as midrash (was...)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: H-Bible <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 3:16 as midrash (was...)
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:32:56 -0600

On 3/14/01 8:15 PM, "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com> wrote:

> In the debate between Christian Brady and John Ronning, it seems clear to me
> that what Christian is claiming is hardly assailable on the grounds so far
> advanced. If I understand his argument, he is making two points. First, he
> is contending that Paul's use of midrashic interpretation was of a piece
> with the broad rabbinic function of midrash in that era. John, if you doubt
> Christian's assertion on this point and reject his initial example from
> Shemot Rabbah, take a quick look at a traditional Haggadah.
<snip>
> Christian's second point is even more important, in my estimation, as he
> distinguishes between "Paul's exegetical technique" and "his theology that
> motivated the specific application in this case." I believe that an
> important facet of midrashic interpretation is that it is essentially
> eis-exegetical. That is, the interpreter already knows what he wants to
> illustrate BEFORE he turns to a text.
<snip>

> Disclosure: Yes, Christian and I are both in Louisiana. But anyone
> familiar with our state must know how painful it is for an LSU man to agree
> with a Tulane man about anything. But Christian is right this time. And
> could we all lighten up a wee bit!

Charles,

Thanks for your much more cogent assessment of our discussion. I feel you
have clarified my points very well. As for LSU v. Tulane, lets just say that
I work for The Man, but my collegiate allegiances are far to the north.
(That being said, how 'bout Tulane baseball! Did a number of the National
Champions didn't they! ;-) Which, by the way, was inexplicably omitted from
the Times-Picayune.)

Yours,

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
"If there are many wise men in a city, this means that the city will soon
fall." -- Babylonian proverb

In which case New Orleans is safe....