b-hebrew - Orthography fluidity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Greg Doudna" <gdoudna AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Orthography fluidity
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 01:57:10 -0500

Ezra seems a bit early for this, Peter. The Qumran texts show
great fluidity in orthography. By the first century CE at
Masada and early 2nd with the Bar Kochba finds a case
could be made that an MT-type text was standardized, but
this certainly wasn't the case 1st BCE (unless one wants to
argue that some subset of the Qumran variety represented
a standardization which not everyone else yet accepted).
On fluidity of orthography in copying biblical texts
see Kutscher 1974 on 1QIsaA, Horgan 1979 on the
pesharim, DJD editions, etc. etc.
Qumran has got to be considered the evidence for what was
happening 1st BCE, rather than considered non-
representative of what was happening.

Greg Doudna