b-hebrew - Re: Immanuel (one word/name)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Crea <Joseph.Crea AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Immanuel (one word/name)
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:21:30 -0600

Hello Raymond!

At 06:57 AM 3/11/01 +0100, Raymond de Hoop wrote:
>On 10-03-2001 16:37 Eduardo M. Acuna <eacuna AT mail.giga.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. BHS has two words.
>
>See my previous mailings, you're refering again to an interpretation by
>editors, not to the text. You're ignoring the Masoretic accentuation, which
>reads one word and which argues against the interpretation of the editors of
>BHS/BHK/Snaith; so please give an answer to that issue?
>
>> 2. The two words will apply to the meaning of the childĀ“s name.
>
>How do you render <Hebr> WQR'T SMW... <endHebr> ?
>
>> 3. LXX has one word; i.e., the name.
>
>Which is also an interpretation, but correct together with 1QIsa^a and the
>Masoretes. Compare also the Eleph. PN (MNYH "with us YH".
>
>> 4. LXX has a footnote explaining the name meaning; i.e., the two words.
>
>That's is new to me that the LXX has footnotes. Unless you mean the
>t.c.-aparatus, but there such a reference is not given. Or are you talking
>again of a certain edition, which is an interpretation of an editor? But
>which LXX-edition are you refering to?

Apparently Eduardo assumes that the citation in Matthew 1:23 includes (in
the Greek) the explanatory clause at the end -- "...which means 'God is
with us'".
My copy of Rahlfs' little manual edition doesn't include it either in the
body of the text or in a footnote.

With Mettaa,

Joseph Crea
<Joseph.Crea AT worldnet.att.net>