b-hebrew - RE: deuteronomy, liz, response

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Giuseppe Regalzi" <regalzi AT infinito.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: deuteronomy, liz, response
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:37:48 -0000

Others have questioned your historical grounds, so I won't repeat their
arguments. But I still want to question the linguistic grounds. Vince's
datings are at best relative (not even that if the ordering of his stages
cannot be proved) unless there are firm historical anchors for it. But, if
we allow for the possibility of orthographic updating during copying, those
historical anchors become very uncertain - all the more so if we allow such
updating to continue into the DSS period. The most we can say is to date the
texts as not earlier than the events descibed in them (and even that
principle may have to be modified for prophetic passages). To put it another
way, how do we know that Vince's stages are not simply the preferences of
individual copyists in (say) the 1st century BCE?

Two shaky pieces of evidence do not make a firm proof.

Peter Kirk