b-hebrew - Re: Intelligible English Translation of plural YOU in KOINE.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Intelligible English Translation of plural YOU in KOINE.
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:42:21 -0500

At 10:28 AM 3/8/01 -0600, you wrote:
>If you used "y o u" to show plural, what about the fact that word
>processors would cause the word to be separated and carriaged if at the end
>of a line? Something should be invented that would be coherent within
>itself, for the sake of word processing.

I believe that computers are invented to make life easier for
humans. Humans should not sacrifice to make life easier for
computers (the punch-card ballot is an example why). In this
case, most word processors support a "non-breaking space",
which is not separated and carriaged at the end of a line.

There are other solutions, and German texts have been using
spacing for emphasis for years without too much technical
trouble (I can't stand it, though).

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com