b-hebrew - VS: tender eyed ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: VS: tender eyed ???
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:30:02 -0500

When I read the verse, I intuit immediately that it refers to Leah's inner nature

Did someone say once, "The eyes are the mirror of the soul"?

Shoshanna

Might it mean her eyes were "weak" in terms of brilliance - i.e. they were
"lacklustre", "dull" or "dim"? That's what Danish Bible translations have
made of the verse. (Eyes are favourably associated with forms of the root
)WR in Ps 13,4; 19,9; 38,11 Prov 15,30 Ezra 9,8 a.o. - although I guess it
primarily connotes "life" in general and not beauty).

Soren
Cph