b-hebrew - Re: Biblical Humor

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Cindy Smith <cms AT dragon.com>
  • To: christinebass AT home.com
  • Cc: B-HEBREW AT FRANKLIN.OIT.UNC.EDU, cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: Biblical Humor
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:05:23 -0500

One of my favorites is Job 38:36b, "Who gave the cock its wisdom?"
The NAB notes are equally amusing: "Understanding: the reflection of
divine Wisdom discernible in the created animal instincts of the cock."

Cindy Smith I have further observed under the sun that
cms AT dragon.com The race is not won by the swift,
cms AT 5sc.net Nor the battle by the valiant;
cms AT romancatholic.org Nor is bread won by the wise,
Nor wealth by the intelligent,
Me transmitte sursum, Nor favor by the learned.
Caledoni! -- JPS Ecclesiastes 9:11