b-hebrew - Re: Terminology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Terminology
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:41:33 EST

rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl writes:

   If you knew just a little of history, you would have known that the
thinking in terms of "race" with regard to the human world, with its roots
in the nineteenth-century evolutionistic thinking, has brought about a lot
of inhumanity from those _who allow themselves to use this terminology_. One
of the results has been the thinking of the perfect Aryan race over against
the inferior Jewish race, result: next to the death of millions of other
people, six million Jews, who are killed. Further, what to think of the
racial laws in the USA untill the sixties/seventies. Or what to think of
Apartheid (to be sure: a Dutch word, my mother tongue) in South Africa, that
was terminated  only at the end of the previous century?
   Next to that, just consider whether the term "race" is adequate when
talking about Jews. Doing that you will have one very serious problem: the
Ethiopian Jews.

While I grant that you have a problem using the term "race" with regard to
the Jews due to the Felashas (as you point out), I still maintain that this
virtual banning of a perfectly good word due to historical misuse is Unzinn.

gfsomsel