b-hebrew - RE: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew (once more)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Raymond de Hoop" <rdehoop AT tref.nl>
  • Cc: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew (once more)
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:23:57 -0000

Thank you. I would only add that at least more conservative scholarship
usually assumes that the author of Matthew was a Jew writing for Jews. One
reason is the Jewish name Matthew and the traditional, but unprovable, link
with the Jewish tax collector Matthew. (The ascription to Matthew is not in
the text and so is traditional only.) Another good reason is the subject
matter and interest in Jewish perspectives. But I agree that this is
unproven.

As for the use of LXX quotations, it could well be that the author, or his
translator into Greek, deliberately (at least sometimes) used a copy LXX for
the final editing of his MS, rather than rely on his own translations or
perhaps because he didn't remember the Hebrew passage precisely enough. Just
as in postings to b-hebrew I might quote some passages from memory and look
up others in a printed Bible. But that doesn't mean that Matthew's basic
thinking was not based on the Hebrew.

For Ian: The relevant question for this list is not racial origin of the
Matthew but whether the author, whoever he or she might be, knew enough
Hebrew to understand Isaiah 7:14 properly, or rather had to rely on the
perhaps misleading LXX translation. I suggested the former. I have yet to
see evidence for the author not being Jewish, but I accept that the evidence
for Jewishness is also rather thin.

Peter Kirk