b-hebrew - Re: Titles of Books of the Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Cindy Smith <cms AT dragon.com>
  • To: B-HEBREW AT FRANKLIN.OIT.UNC.EDU
  • Cc: cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: Titles of Books of the Bible
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:26:53 -0500

I would like to ask a question about the convention among Jews for
naming titles of books of the Bible. A friend who was Jewish once
told me, if I remember right, that Jews call the books of the Bible by
the same name as the first word in that particular book. For example,
Exodus is called "The Book of Names" because the first significant
Hebrew word in Exodus is "These are the names etc." Similarly is the
"Book of Words" and the Book of Days."

Can anyone tell me what Jews call the books of the Hebrew Bible from
Genesis to Malachi? (yes, I know Jews order the books differently,
too). I have a copy of the JPS Tanakh but it apparently calls the
books by conventional Christian names.

Thanks.

Cindy Smith Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms AT dragon.com >IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< "Delay not your conversion
cms AT romancatholic.org// /// \\\ \\ to the LORD, Put it not off
cms AT 5sc.net from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8