b-hebrew - RE: The Messianic Idea (Was:Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_ )

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Messianic Idea (Was:Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_ )
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:37:36 -0500

At 02:07 PM 1/30/01 -0500, Liz Fried wrote:
I think the job description of the biblical messiah

Which Biblical messiah?

(as opposed to the Christian) was based on the job description
of Cyrus the Messiah (Isaiah 45:1):
he would rebuild YHWH's temple and the city of Jerusalem,
he would return the exiles to their land,
and apportion their desolate heritage.
The disappointment in Cyrus led to the emphasis on the Davidic line.
I suggest passages such as Isaiah 11, which emphasize the Davidic
line are later, and post-exilic.
Prior to 2nd-Isaiah and Cyrus you have such exilic poems as Psalm
89 which show the extreme disappointment in the promises to David.
In these biblical texts I don't see an eschatological Messiah.
I think you have to wait for Enoch, which I place later, and which
is influenced by Zoroastrianism.

Liz

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [mshulman AT ix.netcom.com]

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur: chassidus-subscribe AT chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list: chassidus-subscribe AT egroups.com
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254 Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman