b-hebrew - Re: BETHULAH - virgin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BETHULAH - virgin
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:53:43 -0500

At 08:21 PM 1/28/01 -0500, Christine Bass wrote:
Okay, Moshe, curious minds want to know----what do you understand "betulim"
mean? And how does your understanding of the word differ from George's---as
you appear to imply it would---
and why the difference in interpretation between the two of you?

I have no problem in answering this, however since George did make an assertion based on 'knowledge' of Biblical Hebrew I thought that his understanding of this word would clarify some things. Obviously there is a linguistic relationship between 'betulim' and 'betulah' (Gesinius has the following to say under betulim: i.e. stranglae inter primae noctis amplexus hymenus scissi sanguine inquinate. Deu. 22:14)

Thank you for listing the reference sites. Christian posted yesterday that
the job of good scholarship and exegesis is to be upfront with our point of
view. This information helps me to understand where you are coming from.

Actually I forgot to list my 'qualifications'. I haven't posted here for a while, being busy with other matters, but since I shared Liz' curiousity I asked a question (adding some extra information to aid at getting to a scholarly solution.)

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur: chassidus-subscribe AT chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list: chassidus-subscribe AT egroups.com
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254 Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman