b-hebrew - Job 2:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Job 2:9
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:51:26

Dear Friends,

I had a question re: Job 2:9. The AV reads the words of Job's wife to her husband as "...curse God, and die." in light of Job's tragedy. The Hebrew however has "BaReCH" if my memory serves me right, and that word generally means to "bless". Yet English translations render it "curse", even though the MT does not use the word which means "curse", namely 'aRaR. Why do English translations render it "Curse" instead of "Bless"? Many thanks.

Tony Costa
University of Toronto