b-hebrew - RE: Firmament (Hebrew worldview)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Firmament (Hebrew worldview)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:36:22 -0500

Ian,

We have had this discussion on this list before, and you very clearly
insisted that different people come to this list for different reasons.
Without revisiting the historical development of the nature of the list,
please remember that your purposes for coming are the more recent.

While attempt to convert another to one's beliefs *has* been ruled outside
the bounds of the list, the search for meaning of a text or the expression
of theology that can be tied directly the OT would seem to be as appropriate
on this list as would a lengthy discussion of the Dead Sea Scrolls, or the
continued argument that the Gilgamesh epic was either a source or predated
the source for the biblical creation account. While Dan's approach may be a
bit too argumentative, he has as much right to approach the text as inspired
and therefore search for a meaning as you have not to.

Patience with the young ones, my friend,

Paul Zellmer

You wrote (in part) in an interaction:

Truth is a matter outside the scope of text analysis, which is what we are
talking about. We are dealing with what a text says and how we know what it
says. Your how it is known doesn't come from the text.

Our job amongst other things is to uncover a number of things about a text:
who wrote it; who it was written for; why it was written; what the author's
intentions were; what has happened to the text since it was written. These
are things a philologist can and should deal with. You are out of that ball
park into "the truth of the text's message," something which doesn't come
from the text, but from your a priori commitments.

>in such a way so that to deny its unified origin in God is
>equivalent to denying that one was born to his parents.

Theology is not a principal subject for this list.

>Prophets like Jeremiah certainly had such a conviction,
>and he was well-aware of the problem of false prophets.
>Surely you don't think Jeremiah was a false prophet and deceiver?

Your theological ideas are not directly in the scope of this list. I should
call you to stick to the rules of the list. You have in a number of posts
stepped over the lines. I think the moderators have been rather lenient.
This is a laidback list. Don't abuse it.

Ian

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [pzellmer AT sc.rr.com]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')