b-hebrew - RE: Firmament (Hebrew worldview)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Firmament (Hebrew worldview)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:57:20 -0500

> From: Ian Hutchesson writes:
<SNIP>

> I think Bill has it right. rqy` comes from the verb rq`,
> meaning " beat,
> stamp, beat out, spread" (BDB), all tactile actions. rqy`
> linguistically is
> the result of an implied physical action.

This is, of course, linguistically possible, but by no means certain. We all
know of plenty of noun/verb "roots" in common that are have no remaining
semantic correspondence.

> The Job reference, 37:18, says that God "spread out [rq`] the
> skies, hard as
> a molten mirror." This "spread out" obviously entails
> beating it out.

Sorry, it's not obvious to me. It's only one of many very diverse metaphors
used in BH and by no means establishes the worldview of ancient "physical
science" (see below for a couple more).

> The
> skies here are perceived as physically solid. Windows opened
> in the heavens
> (eg Gen 7:11) letting the waters above, which the firmanent
> held up, Gen 1:7
> (again the physical notion -- so I can't see Genesis helping your
> interpretation, Dan), come upon the earth.

Genesis does help. Yes, rain comes from "the windows of heaven" (Gen. 7:11;
8:2), but so does barley and other blessings (2Kg. 7:2, 19; Mal. 3:10)!
Doesn't that qualify as a metaphor? :)

> In 1 Enoch the sun and moon
> entered the sky through doors.

Enoch is much later, whether you accept it so or not, and thus has no
bearing on the subject. But regardless, it also is most likely metaphorical
language, just like Psalm 19:5-7 (4-6). Yes, the sun here has a tent to live
in and races across the sky, but the language here is explicitly figurative
as indicated by the similes describing the sun "like a bridegroom" and "like
a strong man."

As the modern scientist is permitted to speak of the sunrise or sunset, so
the Hebrew language speaks of the sun "exiting [the horizon]" in the morning
(Gen. 19:23) or "entering" in the evening (Gen. 28:11). The idea that the OT
presents a solid firmament is inconsistent with descriptions of the sky
being rolled up as a scroll (Isa. 34:4; cf. 40:22) or compared to cloth
(Psm. 102:26). So it is inconsistent to press some metaphors as intended
literally and then throw out the others at our own whim. (Especially when
you select to press only those which disagree with science. One can only ask
"why?")

Job said that God "hangs the earth upon nothing" (26:7). That's a pretty
impressive concept--nothing we relate to on earth is like that--unless Job
had some source of information outside of the limits of his observation and
acumen.

Dan Wagner