b-hebrew - RE: Breathe or Witness in Proverbs 14:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Brian Tucker" <editor AT journalofbiblicalstudies.org>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Breathe or Witness in Proverbs 14:5
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:11:10 -0000

I won't comment on the Ugaritic evidence. But the sense "breathe" makes good
sense here, and in all six of the seven occurrences (excluding for now 29:8)
in Proverbs of this word (6:19, 12:17, 14:5,25, 19:5,9, same form except
sometimes without waw, similar context each time, indeed except in 12:17 the
object is always K.:ZFBIYM "lies"). Here are some reasons to support the
sense "breathe":

1. It makes good sense as an idiom, especially if the idiom "breathe lies"
means "habitually tell lies".

2. In meany cases there is a parallel with ("D "witness". But in 6:19 the
YFPIYXA is equated with the ("D, so if YFPIYXA means "witness" the line is a
tautology. (Actually we found this line hard enough to translate and close
to tautologous even taking YFPIYXA as "speak", as we had only one word for
"lie" available.)

3. In Psalm 10:5 and perhaps Proverbs 29:8 the word is used in a sense of
speaking habitually in a negative way (as elsewhere in Proverbs, except
12:17), here mockery, but the sense "witness" would not fit.

As for the morphology, in Hebrew the root YPX is found as a variant of PWX
in Jeremiah 4:31.

Is it actually well proved that in Ugaritic YPX means "witness"? Or is it
one of those cases where a gloss was attached to the word because "witness"
fitted the context? Does the Ugaritic word necessarily mean more than
"speak"? This is important, as we must make sure that we don't interpret the
uncertain (Hebrew) from the obscure and conjectural (Ugaritic, perhaps).

Peter Kirk