b-hebrew - RE: Journal of Biblical Studies

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Journal of Biblical Studies
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:08:57 -0000

Yes, it would be nice to see them using the international standard for
encoding Hebrew and other multilingual text, otherwise known as Unicode.
This is supported by Internet Explorer 5 and probably the latest Netscape, I
don't know about other browsers but they are bound to catch up soon. (The
current versions of the fonts for IE5 support vowel points, though not
perfectly, but not cantillation; versions under development support full
cantillation.)

You, Dave, and others interested in this might do well to bring it up on the
new "Biblical Languages" list which is devoted to this kind of technology.
Here is a reminder, Jonathan Robie's posting of 18 December:

Patrick Durusau and I have just set up a mailing list devoted to the
technology of biblical languages and biblical texts. We hope that this list
will promote the development of publicly available texts and software. You
can join the list at the following URL:

http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=biblical-languages

So far, participants are primarily interested in approaches based on XML
technologies and Unicode.

Jonathan

This discussion has dried up in the last week, but maybe you, Dave, can
restart it in a different direction.

Peter Kirk