b-hebrew - Question Concerning Inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Question Concerning Inspiration
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:46:54 -0500

Ian Hutchesson wrote:

> All the harangues against Tyre in Ezekiel were anachronistic from the start
> of the Assyrian repressions in the late eighth century down to the more
> gentile overlordship of the Persians when Tyrian trade regained its footings
> around the Levant. Tyre was fundamentally out of action with Assyrians
> taking control of trade in the Levant, yet was of great interest to
> Ezekiel's writer, suggesting a writing of that text at least well into the
> Persian period when Tyre again stretched its trading tentacles across
> Palestine.

Dear Ian,
you are as always stretching yourself more than your arguments allow.
There is nothing suggesting a composition of Ezekiel during the Persian
time. But maybe is Ian Hutchesson writing during a very, very late,
Persian period...

We have independent sources stating a Babylonian 13-year long siege of
Tyre
(586-573), following on which king Itobaal was replaced in Tyre by king
Baal.

That once more proves, the more historical facts we know the better we can
check
the historicity of the Bible. It´s however a pitty, that such long known
details have to be mentioned anew in such a fundamental discussion. This
provokes the question, how well founded must be a theory, wishing to
overturn all
our previous hypotheses, thus a paradigm, to deserve serious discussion.

Secondly, dear Ian, you should not beleave that the divide runs between us
as neatly as you imagine: me too I regard Daniel being 100% a late
Maccabean work. This doesn´t lead me to beleave the same about the rest of
the Biblical works. We are very well able to distinguish between pretense
and reality of a work. It is in fact not much more difficult than
distinguishing between Shakespeare´s works "The storm" and "Richard". I
may give you help if you should have such problems.

Now, you are right about the obstination of the Jewish world with the
resurection of the dead around 162 BC, which thereafter took much more
moderate forms.

Should you be acquainted with my emerging chronology of Israel, you would
observe that the Exodus happened, according to it, exactly 1460 years
before the Maccabees, that is 162 BC.
This 1460 years are the well known Phoenix period. The apparition of the
Phoenix during the rise to mount Sinai and about 162 (at the inauguration
of the Onias temple in Egypt) are facts preserved by tradition. I set here
a point, but I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Banyai Michael

  • Question Concerning Inspiration, Banyai Michael, 12/14/2000