b-hebrew - RE: _live_ vs. _XYH_ (life => relationship)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: _live_ vs. _XYH_ (life => relationship)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:42:01 -0500

Alviero Niccacci says, "In my opinion, this also means that life and death
are not simply understood in a physical way in the Old Testament. But we
know that common opinion thinks differently."

I agree. Another evidence, more explicit perhaps, is Deut. 30:19-20. "I have
set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life,
in order that [_LEMA(AN_] you and your descendants may live [_TIXYEH_] to
love Yahweh your God, to obey His voice, and to cling to Him; because *He is
your life* and your elongation of days to dwell in the land...."

The "living" of v. 19 is summed up in terms of loving, obeying, and clinging
in v. 20 (metaphors for personal devotion). Furthermore, although "He is
your life"
[_HU) XAYYEYKA_] could also be, "This is your life," the 3MS pronoun is then
referencing the loving, the obeying, and the clinging to Yahweh. I prefer
the first, i.e., God Himself (by relationship to Him) was considered to be
the essence of life. But in either case, the possibility that "life" in the
OT is uniquely physical is excluded.

I take Lev. 18:5 similarly, "You shall therefore keep My statutes and My
judgments, which if a man does, he shall live by/in them." Ezek. 20
emphasizes the same (quotes it 3X), esp. when he finally climaxes at v. 25
with contrasting "statutes" (note change to MP from consistent FP for divine
statutes in context) and judgments which are "not good" and by which man
cannot "live." Physical life is not the issue.

"In the way of righteousness is life, and in its pathway there is no death"
(Prov. 12:28) cannot be talking about physical death (cf. also Dahood's
comparison w/ Ugaritic in context of search for immortality). Psalm 32
pictures the agonizing, broken relationship nearly void of spiritual life,
since God does not hear a person as long as he "sees" (is aware of)
unconfessed iniquity in his heart (Psm. 66:18). "One who turns away his ear
from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination" (Prov. 28:9; cf.
15:8, 29). In Lam. 3 there is a connection between Yahweh covering himself
with a cloud so that He hears no prayer (44) in contrast to later looking
down to see and consequent redemption of "life" (v. 58).

Life in the OT, then, was summed up in terms of an open, active relationship
with Yahweh. I don't necessarily dispute your comments on the relationship
of life & justice, but would shift the focus to make it more personal.
"Life" was not through mere justice alone (i doubt the gentiles would have
been thought of as experiencing "life" even if they were just; the promises
did not extend to anyone outside of the covenant relationship), but justice
within the context of *maintaining* a dynamic relationship with God. Yahweh
was the "fountain of living waters" (Jer. 2:13).

Similar to Peter Kirk, my translation might be, "The just one maintains life
by his faith[fulness]." I'm not getting into the faith-vs.-faithfulness
issue (cf. LXX, NT), except to say that ultimately there is little
difference, and that the verse does not teach that righteousness is obtained
through human accomplishments/merit (works). The main point is that the
proud (self-sufficient) is contrasted to the just who is dependent on God
and thus maintains fellowship by faithfulness in the relationship.

Dan Wagner