b-hebrew - Re: Job 42:1-6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <cctr114 AT it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Job 42:1-6
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:10:06 +1300 (NZDT)

Reggie wrote:-

>What is most important in this regard is that Miles (*God: A
>Biography*. New York: Vintage Books, 1996. p.11) writes, "Within the Book
>of Job itself, God's climactic and overwhelming reply seems to silence
>Job. But reading from the end of the Book of Job onward, we see that it
>is Job who has silenced God."
> In other words, Miles' interpretation depends of Job depends on a
>particular, diachronic (p.13 and elsewhere) way of reading the whole
>Hebrew Bible. For those whose faith advocates the Christian canonical
>ordering (an issue obviously not resolvable in this forum) or who prefer
>to read each Biblical book on its own terms, Miles' approach is not
>especially useful.

Thank you for posting this. I was saddened to find that having
worked through the passage, posted on the topic and read others'
thoughtful posts, that there was a hidden agenda in the original
post. The ``Gospel of Ruth'' stuff was so absurd I didn't respond.
Now I discover this is part of the same garbage.

Having been taken for a sucker, I bow out of this discussion.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury University \_
E-Mail b dot rea at it dot canterbury dot ac dot nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'