b-hebrew - Re: To Alan Feuerbacher Re: Radiocarbon Dating, Flood and Plate Tectonics, Gowanaland, Pre-Adamic Race

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lemuel Abarte" <lemuel AT access.inet.co.th>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <alanf00 AT home.com>
  • Subject: Re: To Alan Feuerbacher Re: Radiocarbon Dating, Flood and Plate Tectonics, Gowanaland, Pre-Adamic Race
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:34:03 +0700

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the replies.

I have my reservations about radiocarbon dating since it looks like solar
effects should have been factored into the analysis and it looks like we
need other data to corroborate results.

The collapse I am trying to mention is based on plate tectonics theory that
continents actually "float" on molten metal on the earth's core. Thus, a
recession from normal elevations we have now were not unlikely, enabling the
continents to partially settle, thereby being engulfed by seawater. With
this scenario, there were not that much turbulence in the encroachment of
seawater inland, no tsunamis, or wave bores, to cause serious morphological
damage. It seems that not only the Black Sea was inundated but that the
Mediterranean was also a freshwater lake before the Flood as partly
theorized that the old river bed levels of the Nile were actually lower than
as it is now. In any case, we have to wait for results perhaps within the
next 2-3 years assuming research in this area continues.

It seems that mythological accounts support the Genesis 6 story of a super
race, the antediluvian generation.

On the Gondwanaland theory, it looks like if this theory is proven, it is
not remote that a universal flood did occur from a literal understanding of
the flood accounts in Genesis, and the plate tectonic explanation mentioned
above.

By the Restored Earth theory, I mean that God restored the earth from a once
perfect condition due to a past catastrophe (Genesis 1: 2), and the
restoration took 7 days. Signs of a young earth (which are proven by
helium/hydrogen-?- amounts in the atmosphere) and an old earth abound.

I am not really inclined to evolution.

On the account in the book of Daniel, for an earth model you mentioned, I
don't think that we can make a conclusion that the writers did think that
the earth is flat. It seems that I read somewhere that Jewish writers early
on thought that the earth is spherical, by observing the moon. Even ancient
Chinese figurines indicate that it was common to think that the earth and
other cosmic bodies were spherical.

Regards,

Lemuel