b-hebrew - RE: Samaritan Pentateuch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT dstm.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Samaritan Pentateuch
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:42:31 -0400

I don't recall some of the exact dates (some are also debated), but the c.
300 BC date you mention is not the date of the oldest extant SP mss., but
rather the presumed time of origination for a distinct text tradition among
the Samaritans. The oldest SP text is c. 1000, but scholarship does not have
access to this text (if my memory serves correctly). We do have access to
European polyglots containing it (c. 1500's). So DSS mss definitely have a
*much* earlier date, some perhaps to 3rd cent. BC through 1st cent. AD. Same
for LXX, translated 250-150 BC, and w/ a few ms. fragments going back to the
BC period w/ full texts in 4th-5th cent. AD mss.

The SP's value is in the fact that it did exist as a solely distinct textual
tradition from a very early stage. However, this is somewhat weakened in
some passages because of universally acknowledged theological bias reflected
in the SP.

But from the standpoint of age of mss. alone, it is about the same as the MT
tradition (although less well preserved, i think most agree).

Waltke did his dissertation on the topic, so ref. his writings especially.
There is an excellent article by him on it in NIDOTTE, i think.

Dan Wagner